Sunday, May 6, 2012

My hopes for Sophia

As I was watching the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame inductions last night, something hit me.  Every successful person ALWAYS thanks their parents for never putting down their dreams.  For allowing them to work on their skills no matter how loud, annoying and crazy it must have seemed to them.

Look at the Beastie Boys.  3 white guys, rapping in the house?  But their parents let them practice and work on their skills.  Tony Hawk.  Kid on a skate board turned it into a multi-million dollar career.  What would have happened if their parents had told them what they were doing was a waste of time? How many other great talents have we been robbed of due to that misconception?

Growing up, I always remember asking my parents what should I be when I grow up.  Now, they would always say "You can be whatever you want to be." Which is a good answer because, yes, that is true.  But everyone needs a little guidance.  If you see your child excelling at something or taking a serious interest and love of something, nurture that.  I can think back to my childhood and my love of cooking started there.  At 11, I made macaroni and cheese from scratch.  And every weekend I was baking cookies.  I must have shown some serious interest in cooking because I have cookbooks that were given to me in my early teens.  Had I known that you could cook as a career, who knows.......

I hope that Sophia ends up doing something she LOVES as a career.  I hope that whatever she ends up doing, doesn't feel like work.  My job is to show her all the possibilities and life choices she can make. My job is to NEVER put down her dreams.  My job is to give her all the tools to be successful in this life.  My job is to support all her interests.  I've accepted this job fully and hope that she lives a life she truly loves.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment