Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Well that was totally awkward....

We live in such digital times.  I know most of my communication is done on the computer.  Which makes in person moments sometimes even more awkward than they should be.  It puts you face to face with people you're not really sure if you know "in real life" or not!

So a few weekends ago I was at the Hollywood Farmers Market.  It was pretty packed and I was dodging people with push carts full of produce and Mom's pushing strollers through the maze of marketeers.  I look down at this stroller as I step to the side and "Hey I know that kid!"  As I look up thinking that it's someone I know pushing the stroller I come face to face with the Mom.  Well hello Gwen Stefani.  My face turned from the hey how are you doing, so great to see you heeeeerrrr......oh shit, I only know your kid from the paparazzi sites I cruise daily.  How insane is it that I felt I knew this child????  But I only know them from pictures I see.  That's pretty scary.

Since I joined a dating site (which honestly I think I'm just going to delete soon, if I wasn't getting such great material for my blog) I've been so self aware out in public.  I notice when someone does a double take and I wonder, "Oh shit, are they from that site?  Did I totally reject them (because 99% of them get rejected)?  They sort of look familiar!"  Talk about awkward moments.  I can't tell if I know someone in "real life" or "virtual life" anymore.  The lines have crossed.

Back in the days of MySpace (yes back in the day, 2003) when I was friends with anyone who was on there, I built "virtual friendships".  Some of which have become real life friends.  But that first meeting was awkward, using your screen name as your introduction.  You feel like you already know this person so well but you don't.  It's a crazy time we live in.

So next time you recognize me and I cross the street, don't take it personal....I'm just saving you and me from that awkward moment.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment