Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Happy Father's Day

I have to say, it's so amazing to watch Earl with Sophia. Watching them spend time together, creating their own special bond. I'm excited to see that grow and blossom. I love seeing them sitting face to face making faces and "talking" to each other. And we all know her first word will be Daddy. Go figure....Mommy puts in all the work and Daddy gets the reward. :)

It also brings along a bunch of other emotions for me. It's something I never had. Honestly, I have no idea what a father/daughter relationship is supposed to look like. There's an image I hold in my head and I catch glimpses from others. But I, never had that. Don't get me wrong, I had an amazing step-father who was the male figure in my life growing up. I give him a ton of credit for stepping into that role. But despite being that person, he was never that "cuddle on daddy's lap" person to me. The closest I came to having that was with my Nono (great-grandfather). I remember sitting on his lap and him stealing my nose. He'd always give it back though. :) A man of few words but full of so much love.

It's an odd feeling not knowing a whole half of you. Not knowing where you came from. But at this age, its been written off and I'm complete with myself. I have no curiosity, no grain in my body that desires to discover that half. Men take note, stay in your kids lives before its too late.

From a girl who didn't have that father in my life; ladies don't create circumstances that sever that relationship for your kids. And men, step up and fight to be in your kids lives. I see and hear so many things that make me cringe and cry inside. Everyone deserves to have that relationship. Even if you two don't get along, don't get the kids mixed up in it. They deserve so much more.

1 comment: